Planning & Zoning Commission
- 7:00 p.m.
- Work session first Thursday of each month
- Regular meeting third Thursday of each month
- City Hall
7301 NE Loop 820
|Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings.
Most Recent Agenda | View All
Minutes are also available following approval.
Most Recent Minutes | View All
Regular meetings are broadcast live on Citicable NRH.
Meeting videos are also archived and available to watch on demand at your convenience.
- Randall Shiflet, Chairman
- Bill Schopper, Vice Chairman
- Mike Benton
- Don Bowen
- Steven Cooper
- Mark Haynes
- Kathy Luppy
- Jerry Tyner, Ex-Officio
Members are appointed by the City Council and serve two-year terms. Members must own property within the city.
Powers & Duties
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall:
- Exercise control over all platting or subdividing of land within the corporate limits of the city and outside said corporate limits to the extent authorized by law.
- Make specific recommendations to the City Council whether a plat be approved or denied.
- Recommend a city Master Plan for the physical development of the city.
- Recommend to the City Council approval or disapproval of proposed changes in the zoning ordinance text or map.
The commission shall be responsible to and act as an advisory body to the City Council and shall have and perform such additional duties as may be prescribed by ordinance.
The Planning and Zoning Commission is the busiest of the boards and commissions of the city. It holds the initial hearing on each application for rezoning and makes a recommendation to the City Council concerning each zoning or rezoning application it hears. The commission must comply with the procedural rules of Texas statutes and the city zoning ordinance. In case of conflict, the statute as interpreted by the courts, prevails. The commission is further charged with constant study of the best and most orderly land use within the city. The commission is not charged with policing the city to ensure compliance.
This commission is the original forum in all platting and replatting cases.
The Planning and Zoning Commission also acts as the Capital Improvement Advisory Committee
For questions or more information about this board, contact the Planning & Development Department